dinsdag 7 maart 2017

H dip dye / surteint

A dip dye or, in French, surteint, is a special H scarf. It is an original scarf dyed over in one color. This makes the original design less prominent and gives a very special effect to the scarf and its colors. And besides that, the dip dye scarves are, because of the extra dyeing, very very soft and luscious.
I have one dip dye, a Couvertures et Tenues de Jour in dark red.


If you want to buy a dip dye, you must look for vintage scarves, that is, they are not - I believe - in the current collection of H. But, there is another interesting possibility for dip dyes. H travels the world with the Hermesmatic. A pop-up shop of H, where you can bring you H scarves to give them a new life. You choose a color and they will be dip dyed for you in the big H dip dye washing machine. A couple of days later you can pick up your new old scarf. I was too late for the Hermesmatic in Amsterdam, but with the help of my Instagram friends, discovered you can, of course, do the dip dye yourself at home too! I really wanted to try. First I scouted a cheap H scarf on the internet especially for this project. I found an Ex-Libris from 1947 in white and turquoise with a lot of stains or actually, marks on the turquoise in a lighter colour, sometimes even white. Possibly from bleach (by the sun?).
However, since I was planning to dye this scarf I thought it was no problem and besides, it is what made the scarf very cheap. 


So then I chose a color, with the advice of my IG friends who have experience with DIY dip dyeing. It was gonna be fuchsia. This would probably give the turquoise a nice purple shade.
I did a hand wash dip dye because I had second thoughts about dyeing in the washing machine. Because I already had bought the dye for the washing machine, I decided to use that (I don't see why it would be necessary to use hand wash dye. The dye for the washing machine has salt included already). I watched a tutorial on youtube and in it went and out it came with a pop! The scarf is definitely pop now! I love it and have been wearing it lots already. I even found a nice bracelet in the thrift shop to go with the electric fuchsia color of the scarf. It has a beautiful new life and I love it!
By the way, I used Dylon Flamingo Pink. I have new dip dye projects lined up for the next adventure! 



1 opmerking:

  1. :-) Dear Cynthia,
    this is fantastic and I think you did an excellent job!
    I am contemplating on dip dying a scarf, too and I will be learning from you.
    Have a very HAPPY Sunday!
    Claudia xo :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen